nafex - [nafex] Opening American chestnut shell/burr/?

  • From: Stefan Brandle <sbrandle@css.tayloru.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Opening American chestnut shell/burr/?
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:47:27 -0500

We have a local chestnut tree that the campus landscaper/botanist says is American chestnut. I've been watching the nuts as they fall. The problem is that they have painfully sharp "spines" and don't seem to be in any hurry to open. Any suggestions.

Also, I've noticed that our red delicious apples don't seem to have been attacked as badly by insects as the jonathon. I've read suggestions about some apples being more/less insect attractive/susceptible. Given my sample size (one tree and one tree), I don't have much to go on. Any thoughts?

-- sb