nafex - RE: [NAFEX] wintergreen berries

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] wintergreen berries
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:59:49 -0700

I was looking into the toxicity of wintergreen oil (1 teaspoon of 98%
pure methyl salicylate, the equivalent of 14 extra strength aspirins,
can be deadly to toddlers). Wintergreen is a flavoring in a carbonated
beverage called Birch Beer. This is made from the bark of the birch
called Betula lenta. Here is a site that talks about this:
http://www.root-beer.info/birch.html

Three mouse clicks from this page brought me to this page that found me
laughing to myself:
http://www.root-beer.info/others/celray.html
Have you ever heard of celery flavored soda? You learn something every
day.

-Mark Lee, Seattle