nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wintergreen berries

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wintergreen berries
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:58:39 -0400

I agree, they grow in NH where I vacation, and they are usually very small. But I did notice that this year the fruits were larger and more numerous than i have ever seen before. (Larger as in the size of a very big pea.)

The fruits are edible, but not worth eating, in my opinion. The flavor is mild, the consistency is sort of waxy, and there's no sweetness to speak of. I prefer to chew on the leaves, which are a little bitter and have a pronounced wintergreen flavor. They aren't sweet, either, but I don't miss it in a leaf.

Ginda