nafex - [NAFEX] Ugni molinae

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ugni molinae
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:42:04 -0700

I have a small 3 inch plant of Ugni molinae, aka Chilean Guava. This
past weekend I was browsing through a local nursery and spotted a couple
pots of these plants, both with fruit. I picked one of the
blueberry-sized berries and got my first taste of this fruit that is
marginally hardy in Seattle. The flavor reminded me of alpine
strawberries... pineapple and other fruitiness. It also reminded of the
classic potluck dish of orange jello and pineapple chunks. I look
forward to my first harvest in the coming years.
-Mark Lee, Seattle, zone 8a