nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ugni molinae

  • From: Lon Rombough <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ugni molinae
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:51:00 -0700

Whenever I see that, I always wonder if the species has been fully explored in it's original range. I can't help but wonder if there were plants growing in more challenging parts of the range that should be found and brought out. For instance, Pyrus betulafolia is often considered a somewhat cold tender rootstock for pears. But if you check, you find that the main stock was from material collected at the southern edge of it's range, and there are much hardier forms of the same species farther north. I can't help but wonder if there aren't some forms of Chilean Guava that are hardier than what is commonly sold. It's one of the things NAFEX can do well - look for forms of fruits that grow outside the normal range of any given species.
-Lon Rombough

Begin forwarded message:

this fruit that is
marginally hardy in Seattle.