nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer fence

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer fence
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:07:55 EDT

In a message dated 9/13/2004 12:35:39 PM US Eastern Standard Time, rwspal@earthlink.net writes:

I'm in the midst of erecting my 7' 6X6 inch mesh 12 gauge wire fence
around my orchard. But I may add an electric wire around it as well.
Males tend to tear down a plastic fence when in rut.

Hello everyone,

Let me relate my experience with high fence using two 4 foot woven fences stacked one on top of the other mounted on 10 foot wood posts which I cut myself. Can't buy them and 14 foot 4 X 4 treated posts are very expensive. A fence that high needs at least three feet in the ground. No electric fence included. The gate is a 4 four foot regular farm gate. The area surrounded is about 1/4 acre.

Have never seen evidence of a deer inside! Eight foot seems too high for them to jump under normal conditions. Have never seen evidence of deer damage to the fence. Tractor damage, yes. More than once.

Jerry