nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer fence

  • From: RW Spalinger <rwspal@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer fence
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:04:36 -0500

We have a garden about 20 meters away from one edge of the orchard, with all kinds of deer goodies growing in it. We have a 6' high field fence around it, and so far, the deer haven't jumped it - at least in the last three years since we put up the fence.

I have to special order 10' T-posts as well as the field fence. T-posts are the most economical supports I can find. I wanted to use 10' schedule 40 galvanized pipe for the orchard fence, but the local hardware store priced them at $97 per post. So, my orchard fence is all T-posts and 85" field fence. I placed posts 6' apart at the corners and put them in concrete, and contracted a local welder to weld 6' T-posts between them for bracing.

We'll wait and see if the deer appreciate all the effort - and expense.

Randall S.