nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer fence

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer fence
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:33:04 +0000

I have an acre fenced with a row of 4' high, (12" wide verticles), standard field fencing on 8' t posts. It is the most economical - for strength - fencing I could use. Above it is one strand of electric at 4' 6" ( on solar - one second intervals ) and above that is non electrified wire on 6" increments. I consider anything 5' and above to be strictly visual barrier for deer. 8' t posts give about 6'6" above the ground. If I have to I will clamp on some conduit and hang another row or two or wire up to 8' for more visual barrier. ( can't find 10' t posts near here) I do bait the electric wire with peanut butter and foil in th e fall, I appreciate teh suggestion about using a stapler - as merely crimped foil tends to slide sideways and ground out the wire on the t post.. If bear get to be a problem, all I can figure to do is to add another row of the same 4' field fencing above the first, Del

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

<I've heard that technique is quite effective. But, it seems like the
&gt;fence would still have to be such that a deer wouldn't expend the
&gt;energy under normal situations to jump over it. In my area, 63 miles
&gt;from the Gulf Coast, in Texas, deer learn that if they jump over an
&gt;electric fence, they don't get shocked. Farmers use electric barbed
&gt;wire fences a lot to control cattle. Deer however go over the fence,
&gt;or slink under it if it is high enough off the ground.
&gt;
&gt;I'm in the midst of erecting my 7' 6X6 inch mesh 12 gauge wire fence
&gt;around my orchard. But I may add an electric wire around it as well.
&gt;Males tend to tear down a plastic fence when in rut.
&gt;
&gt;Randall Spalinger
&gt;
&gt;_______________________________________________
&gt;
&gt;**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
&gt;All other messages are discarded.
&gt;No exceptions. ----
&gt;To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can
&gt;be used to change other email options):
&gt;
&gt;File attachments are NOT stripped by this list
&gt;TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
&gt;Please do not send binary files.
&gt;Use plain text ONLY in emails!
&gt;
&gt;Message archives are here: