nafex - [NAFEX] Deer and electric fences

  • From: "NAFEX List" <nafexlist@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Deer and electric fences
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:39:50 -0700

At one time I also thought an electric fence was the way to go. Experience changed my mind. Low tech (woven wire, no electrical wires) has been simpler and more effective.

My experience with electric fence has been less than impressive. Didn't work for me; might work for you depending upon your circumstances. I did a fair amount of research and followed recommendations for spacing, grounding for dry conditions, etc. I tried it for about 4 year before going to woven wire. Too much winter browsing.

The fence was 8' high. It was high tension, using the specialized high tension wire, tensioners, cross-bracing and anchors at the corners and gates, etc. It consisted of horizontal wires only, except for support posts. I don't recall the exact spacing but I think the bottom 4-5 wires were spaced 6-18 inches apart (closer at the bottom) lower wires electrified, with alternating hot-ground at higher levels. Having some of the wires be grounds is good for jumping through (touch two wires and complete the circuit, or in dry conditions where the real ground can't alway be relied upon to close the circuit. (I live in an area where things dry out in the late summer and autumn.) I also had a ground along the dirt level. The ground wires were connect to three standard grounding rods.

Had an on-off switch separate from the pulse generator. The pulse generator was in my garage where I could see the "fence status" indicator, including the somewhat irritating click-click-click as each pulse is generated. I also had a lightning arrestor. The generator was the standard high voltage kind. I did eventually get a specialized light (to indicate when the fence is active) but never got around to installing it.

Installing it was overall an interesting experience. High tension wire is best removed using a specialized spool, which I also bought. (It is much more difficult to control than standard wire.) There are tapes and meshes that would probably be easier to use and less demanding to support.

Here are the problems:

At times the fence would get shorted out (broken brace wire, fallen branch, arcing) or the breaker would trip, etc. It's tough to tell when fence is electrified without a meter to periodically check this. Since deer are most desperate to get in their when you are not out there (winter) there were times that I wouldn't discover until after the fact that my electified fence wasn't.

There are also times that I'm sure that the fence was electrified and the deer went in any way. I don't know if starvation trumps getting shocked, but whatever the motivation, they did get in at times when the fence seemed operational.

I never did try try the "peanut butter" trick or use an offset electrified wire at chest height, etc.

I converted to double height woven wire (hog fence) and stretched it using a yoke (consisting of two boards bolted together at the end of the fence) attached to the front-end loader of a tractor. If you choose to do this use care, since problems can arise from over-stretching the wire or having the bucket too high. I was careful and did OK.

I now have an 8' high woven wire fence. I used the old wooden supports, with intermediate support from standard steel fence posts and 8' rebar (using standard twist wire-ties.) No deer. No maintenance. Works night and day, summer and winter, spring and fall. No need to check. Visually about the same an electric fence in my humble opinion. Also nicer should you be working next to it, as no need to turn off or remember to turn back on when you are done. Touching your back against a high voltage wire feels like some one hitting you in the flank with a 2x4 as hard as they can. Can also hang things on the woven wire, use as a trellis on the north end, etc.

I think electric fences are great for controlling domestic animals, but am unimpressed with their ability to control some wild animals. Good for coyotes, borderline for deer, worthless for porcupines (but then woven wire is too--they just climb over.) I think almost any electric fence will be effective against the "casual" deer, but I have seen deer jump over my neighbor's 5' electric fence--as they were casually making their way across a field about dusk. Didn't look like they were even trying all that hard to do it. Did it from a stand--no run, no nothing.

The high tension wire has proven useful for trellises or containment fences for grapes, raspberries, and blackberries, so it hasn't been a total loss.

BTW, electrified barbed wire is considered a no-no, since if you (or an animal) gets hung up on the barbs, you will be shocked repeatedly. Most manuals say not to electrify barbed wire.

Your mileage may vary.

regards,

GREG MILLER
Spokane, WA