nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tabasco the new pesticide?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tabasco the new pesticide?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:01:23 -0500

At 08:56 PM 9/10/2004 -0500, Steve wrote:
Most (perhaps not all) of the superhot sauces are better described as tincture of capsaicin.  Rather than being culinary concoctions, they are essentially extracts of the "hot" chemical component of chilies.  A fairly typical example of the American propensity to ruin good things through ignorance or excess.  This national characteristic is a strength in many of areas of life, but tends to ruin good food--not just a croissant, but a jelly bean croissant, for example...

I'm with you on this one Steve.  I like hot stuff, but I like some flavor, too.  Dave's Insanity - and most of the other 'superhot' sauces I've tried are just painful, without any redeeming flavor.
I like 'Boar's Breath' and Bufalo's Jalapeno sauce - both have a good flavor, but not so much heat that even 'wusses' can stand a little of it.
If I want something really hot, I'll eat a habanero along with it.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY