nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tabasco the new pesticide?

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tabasco the new pesticide?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:56:47 -0500

Most (perhaps not all) of the superhot sauces are better described as tincture of capsaicin.  Rather than being culinary concoctions, they are essentially extracts of the "hot" chemical component of chilies.  A fairly typical example of the American propensity to ruin good things through ignorance or excess.  This national characteristic is a strength in many of areas of life, but tends to ruin good food--not just a croissant, but a jelly bean croissant, for example...

I grew up in Latin America, eating the hottest of peppers, but most superhot "sauces" are related to chilies like citric acid is related to lemon.  The whole concept sort of seems to fly in the face of one of NAFEX's goals--to seek out the very finest fruit of its kind.  Why would one want to do just the opposite with the chili fruit?

Just wondering,

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, Wisconsin, USDA zone 3