nafex - [NAFEX] cold hardy pear varieties

  • From: "Ed Forest" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cold hardy pear varieties
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 02:39:12 +0000

Kevin Bradley
the person requesting the info on cold hardy pears resides in zone 5, N Mex., I would guess he is in the high dessert where you need to grow more cold hardy fruits in order to endure the dry, windy winters, that is probably why he is interested in colder zone pears I agree with Claude that Patten is a very good pear and perhaps the best for the far north, I have tasted it and find it to be larger, more hardy, and at least as good if not better than Parker. I am just fruiting Nova for the first time this year and can't say yet about its quality. I think Summercrisp would probably be its best pollinizer but I haven't tried it yet either but since Ed Fackler used to offer it in Indiana I have assumed that it is a good pear, it has been fully hardy in zone 3 for me but Frank Foltz has fouind it to be less hardy than Ure. Perhaps he should consider Ure also although I have yet to taste it, from other's evaluations I would guess it to be one of the best for that zone also possibly as good as Patten, I would love to hear from someone who could input on Ure for flavor. Kevin B _________________________________________________________________ On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how to get there! http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=Retirement