nafex - [NAFEX] Re: blackberry wine question

  • From: "robscott@freeshell.org" <robscott@freeshell.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: blackberry wine question
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:11:22 +0000 (UTC)

Lisa,
Good luck with the Balckberry wine this year. I started brewing this year and I've got 6 carboys going now (mint champagne, rhubarb wine, red currant wine, aronia wine, sweet mead, and er, a "sugar wine").

First of all yes, multiply all the ingredients except the yeast. Unless you're making more than 5 gallons at once a single yeast package will suffice.

If you're using 3.5#, or even 7# fruit per gallon, you're probably looking at a recipe that involves adding sugar. 3.5# will probably get you enough flavor for a gallon and I'd more likely make an extra gallon with 7# and just double the sugar. A hydrometer ($5-10 tool for measuring sugar content -- i.e. potential alcohol) will tell you if you exceed the ammount of sugar the yeast can digest. At a certain point the quantity of alcohol kills the wine yeast and the rest of the sugar is "residual" -- the sweet flavor. Too much sugar will give you a Robitussin-like beverage. The easy way to do this is to match the sugar at the beginning to the ammount the yeast will digest before dying. Then you will have a dry wine, which you can sweeten to taste before bottling.

Also, when you rack the wine out of the bucket you don't want a lot of air in your "secondary fermenter" -- carboys are easiest to find in 3 5 and 6 gallon sizes, so a 2 gallon batch might be a little awkward.

Good luck!
Rob Scott
Urbana, IL 5b/6a
Oyster Mushrooms growing out of our compost bins...

Lisa wrote:

The recipe I want to use (a sweet wine) calls for 3
1/2# blackberries to make 1 gallon wine. Another
blackberry wine recipe (dry wine) uses 7# for a 1
gallon batch. Can I sneak more blackberries into
the sweet wine recipe?

  • [NAFEX] Re: blackberry wine question, robscott@freeshell.org, 08/12/2004