nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ripe mulberries now!

  • From: LEE REICH <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ripe mulberries now!
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:33:15 -0400

Re: white mulberries. First of all, not all Morus alba bear white colored
fruits. Some are violet, some are
even dark purple. Second, yes, most white mulberries are cloyingly sweet.
Kids like them, though. And third,
from what I have researched, the large Pakistani mulberries are neither cold
hardy nor particularly tasty. I've
never tasted or grown them, though.

Not to be redundant, but my recent fruit book also has a chapter on
mulberries, and lists some varieties and
sources.

Lee Reich
www.leereich.com