nafex - [NAFEX] cold-hardy pear question

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cold-hardy pear question
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:45:52 -0500

Folks,
This request for information has been hanging out at one of the forums I frequent for a few days. Thought maybe some of you folks up the real frigid north could shed some light or make some suggestions.

"I am interested in some of the pear varieties offered by St. Lawrence Nursery, a nursery that specializes in cold-hardy pears. I haven't heard of any of their varieties, although I know the nursery enjoys an excellent reputation. Has anyone had any experience with 'Nova' or any of their other varieties? I need, in order of importance:

1. Generally robust tree, but not necessarily fire-blight resistant. (not a problem around here).

2. Excellent, melting eating quality, i.e. no canning expected.

3. Attractive appearance, especially in bloom an in fall foliage.

3. Fairly, but not hugely cold-hardy.

4. Late bloom desirable, although I know there isn't much to choose from with pears. "

Thanks for your input...