nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ripe mulberries now!

  • From: Jacquelyn Kuehn <jakuehn@mail.yourinter.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ripe mulberries now!
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:54:05 -0400

Regarding those purple stains, the old-fashioned, low-tech method of removing them by pouring boiling water through stained clothing, holding the water vessel up high (I don't know how necessary that part is) works wonderfully. Obviously just for clothes, however, not for skin!

Jackie Kuehn

Stefan Brandle wrote:

I just found a mulberry tree that appears to be smack bang in the middle of its fruiting. This is a good month plus after all other mulberries around here stopped fruiting. Is this a[n unusual] late summer mulberry, or is it just our wierd cool summer throwing off yet another plant?

Speaking of mulberries, when the traditional purple ones mix with small children the result tends to be a big mess. :-) Pomona has had references to white mulberries as tasting and being non-staining. The name "afghanistan" shows up frequently. Any comments or recommendations on mulberries that kids like and won't stain everything?

-- sb East IN, Zone 5b