nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Plums and early ripening

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Plums and early ripening
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:32:01 +0000

<I think it is a good idea to have lots of pollinizers nearby for
<maximum production, not just two different ones.

Thanks for all the plum variety advice, everyone. I remember a post last year that emphasized planting plums like a thicket - for pollinizing.
Is this because of early bloom and few bees?
What is close enough?
I really don't know what diameter to expect of a mature plum in zone 3 on heavy soil. I planted one batch on a 10' grid, the others on the 15' grid of the apple orchard.
Perhaps one should graft in a pollinizer on each tree?
Thanks , Del

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3