nafex - [NAFEX] Plums and early ripening

  • From: "Ed Forest" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Plums and early ripening
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:56:16 +0000

Plums:
Alderman, Superior, and Monitor are pruducing loads of fruit, like the pictures youi see in nursery catalogs. South Dakota blooms like crazy but in three years of procuction hasn't produced much fruit. I think it is a good idea to have lots of pollinizers nearby for maximum production, not just two different ones.
Monitor seems to be an excellent plum in flavor and texture altho the skin is a bit sour.
South Dakota is unusual , I like it but its not what you expect from a plum, its seems to lack sugar and acid but still, worht growing, I do look forwared to the early ripening fruits wit hthe non sour skin.
In S WI the lower half of our orchard pruduced almost no fruit, I can't help think it is due to the rain which kept the water level very high for about three weeks this spring. The fruit of Lodi ripened a full month early, but there were only about 4 apples per tree (lower end of orchard)
In N WI, the opposite, sandy soil, well drained, I have lots of fruit, like never before, and everything is very late to ripen as I mentioned in an earlier post.
Best
Kevin