nafex - RE: [NAFEX] wine recipes with ribes juice

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] wine recipes with ribes juice
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:09:40 -0500

mIEKAL aND wrote:
>I have a number of recipes using the fruit, I was looking for recipes that
>had proportions for juice.... At this >point I think Im gonna try making
>with pure juice, no water & see what I get.

All of the fruit "wines" that I have made have used some water, rather than
straight juice, but I have also usually mashed the fruit, dumped it in a
sterile crock, put sugar on the mashed fruit (if called for in the recipe or
by my notions of what might work), poured boiling water over it (amount per
recipe), and then added wine yeast when the water/fruit mix had cooled
enought. Then I covered the top of the crock with a sheet of plastic held in
place by elastic around the top of the crop and let it work. When
fermentation died down, I would rack it off into a 5 gallon carboy with
fermentation lock (assuming that I am making 5 gallon batches) and let the
fermentation finish. I usually figure 5 pounds of fruit per gallon of wine.
I have a nice 8 gallon crock that gives room for foaming yeast when making
wine or beer, and lots of 5 gallon carboys so I am in no hurry to bottle a
batch.

Jim, in Menomonie, WI

<<winmail.dat>>