nafex - Re: [NAFEX] saskatoons

  • From: "Mike Levine" <mlevine30@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] saskatoons
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 21:33:40 -0400

I would say that is normal (for my taste).  I like them best when they are just changing from red to purple so that the handfuls I stuff in my mouth are mixed with tart, sweet, and a little bitter.  My partner likes them a little more on the purple side and doesn't seem to notice the bitterness as much as I do.    Once they turn dark purple the seeds become more developed and I believe that this is where the prevalent bitter flavor comes from (a little cyanide perhaps?  They are related to apples?).  At that point it's best to put them through the squeezo and make jam/sauce/pie/whatever...Or I just eat them and try to gum it a little so that I swallow the seeds whole.
Some varieties are definitely better (larger/sweeter) than others, but I haven't had one yet that didn't taste good at some stage of ripeness.
I'm noticing that my stoloniferas are later to ripen than the others.

Mike Levine
Ann Arbor, MI