nafex - Re: [NAFEX] The squirrel pressure is just too intense.

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] The squirrel pressure is just too intense.
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:17:32 -0400

How natural do you want the controls to be? One of my housecats takes squirrels from time to time. I've only seen two dead squirrels, and scores of dead chipmunks, but he does discourage them from foraging when he's outside. Some types of small dogs are probably even better.

A couple of years ago we had a red shouldered hawk couple in the neighborhood, and the squirrels were must more circumspect that year. I bet any large hawk would help, not just the red tails. A tall pole is probably a good idea. A dead tree is even better - they don't seem to like points as much as high branches.

Ginda