nafex - Re: [NAFEX] The bird pressure

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] The bird pressure
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 23:04:30 -0500

Hi Tom and others, Here's a few thoughts. There is an enormous eighty year
old
mulberry tree a few towns over that was planted to lure the birds away from
what
used to be an orchard and other fruits. Guess it worked from what the old
timer
told the lady now living there. Also, I have noticed birds have flight
patterns
and arrival dates, and I think that reflective strips stretched down rows
works
damn well: kept the birds off the veggies on a 10 acre veggie farm I worked
on for
four years. But only put out the deterrents when the fruit is nearing the
bird-
theiving stage, and take it down right after harvest. That way it doesn't
become
part of the enviroment.
Never had problems with birds, but the mosquitos this year are the size of
them,
Heron Breen
Maine
On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 18:06 , 'Thomas Olenio' tolenio@sentex.net> sent:

>Hi,
>
>(Kind of off topic)
>
>I do not understand people who feed birds year round.
>
>In this day and age of "West Nile" why attract birds to your backyard, who
>in turn attract mosquitos that spread West Nile virus.
>
>It would be like feeding/attracting flea ridden plauge rats during the
>dark ages.
>
>Yes, some birds are nice to watch, and some bird songs are nice to hear,
>but a segement of our neighbbors are at risk.
>
>I am not hyper worried about West Nile, but there are people who are at
>risk, and common courtesy would be to keep all safe.
>
>If people want to feed birds, do it in the winter when food is scarce, and
>mosquitos are dead (and all the fruit picked).
>
>Just my opinion.
>
>It is ironic that in Vineland, Ontario that bird cannons and netting
>abound, yet people are intent on attracting birds with feeders, hurting
>the ag economy (in addition to West Nile risks).
>
>Tom
>

>On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 13:48:52 EDT, DocKW@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Here is zone 5 southwest Connecticut we have the same squirrel
>> pressure...cleaned 2 peach trees so far....and doing the others when
>> they have the time...
>> I find there is NO end of squirrels as locals feed the birds year
>> round...
change other email options):