nafex - Re: [NAFEX] -35F Fuji

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <BNikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] -35F Fuji
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 22:01:09 -0700

Del, Fuji itself is surprisingly hardy, and survives well here in Edmonton
if topworked to a hardy stembuilder. It won't ripen, but according to the
fellow who was experimenting with it, if you leave it on the tree until -6C
in mid to late October, and then store it, he was able to get some to ripen.
I know Yataka-Fuji is an earlier maturing version, I think some say it isn't
a real Fuji. Of the many dozens of commercial varieties I have topworked
over the years here, I'd say ALL of them survive -35F. The killing
temperatures are between -35F and -40F from what I've seen. In other words,
if you had 100 commercial varities topworked to hardy stembuilders, all
would survive -35F. At -37F half or so would die, and at -40F all 100 or
almost all 100 varieties would die. I have found its really that narrow a
band of minimum temperature they will take/die at.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta
zone3/2