nafex - [NAFEX] Great Book

  • From: "Dylan Ford" <dford@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Great Book
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 14:16:17 -0400

Dear Folks,

I am writing this for a few lists to which I subscribe - I would like to
recommend an excellent book I have just finished reading, and intend to read
again.
The book is "Against The Grain; How Agriculture Has Hijacked
Civilization", by Richard Manning.
It is a fascinating and exhaustively-detailed examination of how
civilization's adoption of agriculture (and its eventual corruption into the
world-wounding, corporate-dominated form that is rampant today) can be
directly credited with most of the major problems facing humanity and our
beleaguered planet, including over-population, famine, and pollution. I
believe this is a must-read for everybody on the lists to which I am posting
this. For those of us experimenting with organic and sustainable crop
production and permaculture, Mr. Manning's book will serve to strengthen our
resolve that we are on the right track, but that there is much that needs to
be done and time is running out. dylan ford

Dylan Ford is the author of the proposal at www.ideaforpresident.com , a
website devoted to an idea that could provide an avenue to address pollution
issues, food safety, social justice, prison reform and healthcare.

  • [NAFEX] Great Book, Dylan Ford, 06/06/2004