nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Three insects on a plum tree

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Three insects on a plum tree
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 15:02:36 -0700

Earwigs, in the pacific northwest (mild winters), can
defoliate the vegetable garden: including potatoes,
chard, kale, turnips, squash and beans. But you need
to go out at night with a flashlight to see them at
work. I haven't checked the orchard at night; but
this years the earwigs aren't bad anyway.

Good grief, Lisa, you must have an amazing number of earwigs down there in Ashland, which is rather odd, considering how hot and dry it is there in the summer. I thought they only grew in the Pacific Northwest. (which is where I live - maybe my referral to an Atlantic source for our winter moths made you think that's where I live).

We had a lot more when I was a child (back in the 1940s). The morning newspaper was delivered before 6 a.m., and many earwigs would take shelter in it as it lay on the doorstep, to my mother's horror when she unfolded the paper.

I don't see many earwigs now, and certainly have never had anything defoliated. I have just been pulling out the winter vegetables that we didn't eat. Huge plants - thanks to our deer fence.

--
Diane Whitehead Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8