nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Three insects on a plum tree

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Three insects on a plum tree
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 08:54:47 -0700 (PDT)

One of the best things about Oregon is I have yet to
see a <shudder> japanese beetle. Earwigs are bad but
at least they are mostly just out at night.

I managed to take pictures - learned that it's almost
impossible to photograph a bug on a tree; but if I
shake the tree the bugs fall off. If no one knows, or
can point me to a site, I'll write to Prof. Lang.
http://www.fwfarm.com/redblackbug2.jpg
about 1/2"-3/4" long, the entire body is fire
engine red (I had the color pattern backwards)
http://www.fwfarm.com/waspybug2.jpg
maybe 2" long including spike

This is one popular plum tree - got some ladybugs too.
Even a non-spotted ladybug, plain red.

=====
Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall