nafex - [NAFEX] Apple pests

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple pests
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 20:23:05 -0400

I was examining my apples today, and noticed that the Ashmeads Kernal graft has a lot of little green caterpillars. They live in a curled up leaf - the leaf stays curled up due to some strategically placed silk. Whatever they are, they do an awful lot of damage to the growing tip. (The leaves are not quite full sized today.)

I've had similar damage in the past, and the graft keeps growing vigorously, although it's possible this contributes to its lack of flowers. I think it's interesting that the crabapple this graft is attached to gets much less damage, consistently over the years. The other graftlings are also damaged, some much worse than the Ashmead. Karmijn is particularly hard-hit. The Jonathan in the front yard is, like the crab, not much affected.

Anyone know what this caterpillar is? Suggestions for control for next year? Would dormant oil help?