nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple pests

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple pests
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 07:51:58 -0400

list@ginda.us wrote:

> <snip>I think it's interesting that the crabapple this graft is
> attached to gets much less damage, consistently over the years. The
> other graftlings are also damaged, some much worse than the Ashmead.
> Karmijn is particularly hard-hit. The
> Jonathan in the front yard is, like the crab, not much affected. <snip>

Hi,

I was looking up crabapple information the other day and read a report that
Japanese beetles do more damage to
certain varieties of crabapples than others. Possibly this explains why some
caterpillars do more damage to
certain trees as well.

It does not directly apply to caterpillars, but the beetle report can be read
here;

http://www.entm.purdue.edu/Entomology/ext/targets/ID/ID217/ID-217.pdf

Later,
Tom