nafex - [NAFEX] When will my apple tree bloom?

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] When will my apple tree bloom?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 07:39:03 -0400

I planted a Jonathan on M111 four years ago. For the last three years, it has had two distinct types of buds. Every year, I hope that the fat buds at the ends of spurs will flower, but they never do. The little buds that lie flat to the branches grow new branches, and the fat buds produce a ring of leaves.

So, does this mean that the tree is "mature" enough, but isn't getting enough sun/nutrients/water/??? Or do I just need to wait? The tree is not in an ideal spot (I don't have any ideal spots), but it gets sun most of the day, and this year I plan to kill back the grass around it more aggressively.

Ginda
Eastern Mass., zone 6
where the buds are just opening, and the daffodils and forsythia are in bloom.