nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bagging apples

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bagging apples
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:17:06 -0400

Hello All,

After a little research I found that it is "glassine" envelopes that are used
in bagging ears of corn.

This is a glassine bag:
http://home.teleport.com/~landscaping/GlassineLogo.gif

After learning about glassine, I found a very interesting web page where the
author states;

"I had never purchased glassine envelopes, until recently, so I must have had
a secret source, right? Well, the secret is out now. Go to the yellow pages
to find your nearest manufacturer of glassine or plastic bags or even paper
envelopes. A peculiarity of this industry, at least here in the Chicago
area, is
that numerous orders are consigned to the scrap heap each year because of
mistakes in production or printing, because the customer changed his/her
mind, or
because the customer decided not to pay for them. It amounts to several
skid-loads each year which are usually discarded at inventory time. One
manufacturer
gave me a tour of their discard or (overproduction) area, and offered me full
cartons of anything I wanted. The major problem with free bags from the scrap
bin is that you have to take what you can get, and finding the exact size you
want is a long shot."

The author uses glassine envelopes to bag and store seeds.

Not a bad idea for anyone who is considering bagging apples on the cheap.

I then contacted one poly/glassine bag supplier to inquire if there are any
poly or glassine bags that have a drawstring closure, that would be suitable
for
apple bagging. A drawstring bag would be a HUGE time saver, and improvement
in the bagging process..

Later,
Tom