nafex - [NAFEX] baggingapples

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] baggingapples
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:29:01 -0400

Hello All,

I know that you can buy boxes of 1,000 clear, poly bags, 5"x3" for under $10.
They are used in fast food restaurants to bag carrot and celery sticks for
example. I am sure that price will be hard to beat.

I wonder though...

There is a corn breeding station very close to where I live. They use to bag
the ears of corn after it had been pollinated to ensure no unwanted
pollination occurred. They would hire school kids by the drove to do this
bagging. Here is a photo of how the ears of corn are bagged;

http://res2.agr.gc.ca/ecorc/zea/images/fig2.jpg

Are these corn bags, that are designed for this purpose, better and/or
cheaper than poly bags, and more suited to the purpose (opaque)?

Any corn breeders out there that know more about these bags?

Later,
Tom