nafex - Re: [NAFEX] persian fruits in the US (OT)

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] persian fruits in the US (OT)
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:34:19 -0700 (PDT)

Though I am greatly conserned with the people involved
with the conflict over there, I cant help but think
about all the old genetic material over there and the
surrounding areas. It make you wonder about that old
great library of Alexandria. Just imagine if it that
place still existed and had seed catologs (I know it
is in different region, but it would still have the
same matieral). Though I am sure most people of the
region grow standard varieties imported from Europe,
could you imagine if they had a germplasm library with
old world crops. A friend of mine from Pakastan and
Syria was speculating about going back over there and
exploring some of the wild fruits if things ever get
stable over there. I am afraid he will have to wait a
number of years before that will happen. Pretty sad.

Robert