nafex - [NAFEX] grass around fruits, was: Spring!

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grass around fruits, was: Spring!
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 07:43:09 -0700 (PDT)

> My project for this year is to kill back the grass
> from close to my
> fruits. The blueberries have an extra 18" of

The grass in my orchard is starting to worry me; I
just
read that some grasses are alleopathic, particularly
the nasty creeping ones. How worried should I really
be? How much space around each tree do I need to
keep clear? Any good suggestions, other than roundup,

to control? I've been starting with cardboard but
it's about 1/4 acre - that's a lot of cardboard...

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Zone 7, Sunset Zone 7, 1800'