nafex - [NAFEX] Biological Botrytis Control For Fruit

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Biological Botrytis Control For Fruit
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:08:30 -0700

Title: Biological Botrytis Control For Fruit

Stuff.co.nz - New Zealand
... Trials on grapes, kiwifruit, berry fruit and flowers this season confirmed
the granulated botry-zen powder has a shelf life of six to eight months
compared to ...
<http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2879851a13,00.html>

         B U S I N E S S   S T O R Y
RELATED LINKS

Botry-Zen expands factory

Biotechnology company Botry-Zen is expanding its Dunedin factory after finalising the formulation of its biological control for the botrytis grape-wasting fungus.

Chief executive John Scandrett said details of the expansion of the waterfront factory were still to be finalised, but it would most likely mean new jobs.

Trials on grapes, kiwifruit, berry fruit and flowers this season confirmed the granulated botry-zen powder has a shelf life of six to eight months compared to the frozen paste product which has a six-week shelf life.

The biological control was proven to be as effective in controlling the botrytis fungus as chemicals, he said, and it could be used through existing spray equipment.

Mr Scandrett said the extended shelf life meant the factory would produce botry-zen for world markets all year round, but it needed expansion.

"The critical thing is that we can now look at the northern and southern hemispheres for market opportunities."

"Now we have got some commercial bite," he said.

The expansion will be within the factory's existing footprint with production to be ready by September, in time for the next New Zealand growing season.

Botry-Zen, which is listed on the New Zealand Stock Exchange Alternative Exchange, plans to start exporting to Italy, for which it has access, from May next year.

Its shares rose 28.71 per cent, or 2.9 cents to close at 13 cents yesterday.

Botry-Zen still has to complete international trials and registration for the rest of Europe, North America and Australia.

Trials on grapes in Italy have been successful and Mr Scandrett said on its own, Italy represented a huge market of 800,000 hectares of grapes and a massive area of tomatoes and strawberries on which trials will be held.

"In our wildest dreams if we were to capture one per cent of the Italian market we will need a new plant," he said.

Mr Scandrett said the new product formulation would help the company's cashflow, but it was still budgeting for a deficit in the 2005 financial year, but would be on track for a maiden profit.

  • [NAFEX] Biological Botrytis Control For Fruit, Lon J. Rombough, 04/19/2004