nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mice moles or voles

  • From: Stefan Brandle <sbrandle@css.tayloru.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mice moles or voles
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 12:47:23 -0600

Richard Fahey wrote about "ritual scarification" [my words -sb] of apple tree trunks. This was several Pomona's ago. He discovered that where the apple tree trunk had been damaged vertically, the healed calous tissue was too tought for the critters to nibble through. He then started using tools to cut vertical strips out of the bark at intervals around the tree. These healed strips then formed the equivalent of permanent bridge grafts [my words again] so that if critters did nibble on the bark, they couldn't do a clean strip around the tree, just a partial girdling.

I don't know about other possible consequences of doing this. I am tempted to do it on my trees, but I've been fortunate enough not to ever have girdling problems (yet!) so it doesn't really seem worth while for me.

-- sb
In another month or so I'll know whether my one lone male kiwi (arguta) is going to
bloom. The other "male" (from a different source) turned out to be female!
Spring is definitely springing. I'm hoping that the cherries won't take the bait quite
yet. :-)