nafex - [NAFEX] need opinions on the quality of these new trees

  • From: Uwillard@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] need opinions on the quality of these new trees
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 12:35:24 EST

I recently received and planted 13 new trees, and was surprised at the variations in size and form, amount of roots, etc. Some of them I was at a complete loss for how to prune. The books just don't talk about what to do when the tree shoots off in one direction at a 20 degree angle! To be more specific:
The Williams Pride apple. The rootstock is vertical, and the tree come off to the left nearly horizontal to the ground and curves up, ending up pointing to about 10 o clock. The caliper of the trunk is fairly large, about 5/8 inch near the rootstock. I can't see how this shape would make a strong tree.
The Newtown Pippin apple. A nice straight tree, caliper about 1/2 inch, and barely a root on it.
The Stayman apple. Comes off the rootstock pointing to 2 o'clock, turns at a pruning cut back to 10 o'clock.
Several of the trees have long rootstock sections before the graft, around 8 inches. To get the graft union 3 inches above the ground, I had to really bury them deep and wasn't at all sure if this was right.
Also, several of the trees had a lot of branches, most right at the top where the tree had been pruned for shipping. (Some of these were labeled 'feathered' and I paid more for them.)Some of them were a mess, shooting of this way and that from various pruning cuts close together. Ah! I thought I was going to be pruning back whips to 36"! What a challenge. Some of the trees I ended up pruning off the whole mess to about 24" so I could start over and pick my own branches. I do have an artistic eye and like trees to be nicely shaped, but some of these don't even seem very functional.

I got these trees from a reputable nursery, and since I have little experience I don't know if these trees are fine and normal or not. A few of the trees were lovely and straight, with good roots and a graft union of reasonable height. There was a snowstorm at the time they shipped, and I almost wonder if they pulled some of my trees from the misfit pile. Any opinions about this, and help on how to prune would be appreciated!

Uma, East TN zone 6