nafex - [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 15, Issue 2

  • From: Mark_Bugaieski@rlicorp.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 15, Issue 2
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 12:08:58 -0600

Tree tubes work, but are really designed for seedlings. If you leave them
on the tree a long time, make sure they get good air circulation; they also
suggest opening them in the fall to let the tree properly harden off. I've
had good luck with the Tree Sentry product.

I've also had good luck with hardware cloth cut to length and wrapped
around the tree and fastened with stainless steel wire. I put the "spikes"
(edges of wire after cutting) up to act as a sharp deterrent against
climbers and rotate it into the mulch an inch or two to discourage
burrowing under. Adams County Nursery also sells a perforated metal tube
that serves the same purpose.

Message: 3