nafex - Re: [NAFEX] stonefruit grafting

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] stonefruit grafting
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:48:50 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] stonefruit grafting
I've never grafted any limbs/trunks more than two inches in diameter as it seems that the tree has a harder time healing larger diameter grafts.  However, you might be able to do it if you put in as many as four grafts.  Three of them are to help heal the wound, and the fourth is encouraged to grow.  Keep the "healers" pinched back so  they won't compete too much.
-Lon Rombough

At 10:49 AM 3/22/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>Best results I've had with stonefruit were to cut off the limbs and do
>bark grafts into the cut ends.  Timing was all important in that I always
>wait until the stock is leafed out and very active so the grafts heal
>quickly.

I've only grafted a couple of plums - back when all I knew how to do was a
simple whip/splice graft.  Got reasonable success, but I didn't know enough
to be scared to do them that way.
I've got some 'Guthrie' P.angustifolia scions that I'm going to be trying
on P.angustifolia and P.americana rootstocks this spring - Lon, would you
recommend just beheading the rootstock and doing a bark graft?
Any other recommendations are welcome.