nafex - Re: [NAFEX] stonefruit grafting

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] stonefruit grafting
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:40:58 -0600

At 10:49 AM 3/22/2004 -0800, you wrote:
Best results I've had with stonefruit were to cut off the limbs and do bark grafts into the cut ends. Timing was all important in that I always wait until the stock is leafed out and very active so the grafts heal quickly.

I've only grafted a couple of plums - back when all I knew how to do was a simple whip/splice graft. Got reasonable success, but I didn't know enough to be scared to do them that way.
I've got some 'Guthrie' P.angustifolia scions that I'm going to be trying on P.angustifolia and P.americana rootstocks this spring - Lon, would you recommend just beheading the rootstock and doing a bark graft?
Any other recommendations are welcome.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY