nafex - Re: [NAFEX] stonefruit grafting

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] stonefruit grafting
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 16:03:44 EST

In a message dated 3/22/2004 1:42:50 PM US Eastern Standard Time, natvwine@cut.net writes:

This is the 8th year I have somehow managed to not prepare to topwork my
manchurian apricot rootstocks. I have about 30 1"to 2" caliper.

One to two inches at what height? I've been very successful at machine V & splice grafting Prunus when actively growing, when the bark is in the slip. I'd suggest grafting higher even 3 feet up, where ever the diameter matches the scion diameter. Use a grafting rubber to hold it firmly, completely wrap with Parafilm M to seal in moisture then cover loosely with foil to keep cool. Should bud out in two weeks. I've made many Prunus grafts this way successfully.

Someone off line asked me what the yellow tape was in the bark graft picture I had included in a previous message. I'll answer here in case anyone else wondered. It is vinyl electrical tape used to bind the graft together. This I usually leave on until the second year. Black will also work, but cover with foil to keep temp down. 3M makes electrical tape in about 8 different colors and yellow will host less fungal growth than white. This is based on my observations alone. It can be purchased in most home improvment stores such as Lowes & Mennards.

Jerry