nafex - [NAFEX] RE: weepy actinidia arguta (hardy kiwi)

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] RE: weepy actinidia arguta (hardy kiwi)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 09:44:25 -0600

My Actinidia argutas frequently ooze sap from a few buds right around or
just before bud break starts. It looks like water droplets, but it has a
sweet taste. It only lasts a few days, and always seems to go away
without any problems. Could be due to slight winter injury? I would be
cautious about pruning any Actinidia when the sap starts running, as you
may cause the vine to bleed excessively. Its best to do any pruning when
the plant is still dormant or wait until late spring or early summer
when the vigorous growth slows.

Hal
zone 6b, TN

Was doing some pruning today and noticed that one of the kiwi canes was
a bit weepy, sort of like what you see on peach trees at times. It
wasn't black, wasn't lumpy, rather like one patch of the cane had had a
bit of water rubbed on it that hadn't dried. I decided to whack the cane

to be safe, but got to wondering. Bacterial type problem?

I had not previously noted any problems with them. Other than a mildish
problem with Japanese beetles who nibble on them when they get bored
with roses, hollyhocks, and some other favorites.

By the way, it is "actinidia" or "actinidea"? I've seen it both ways.

---