nafex - [NAFEX] Using basics to start.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Using basics to start.
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:00:27 EST

I would never want to loose a single first time grafter
because they could not find parafilm, grafting rubbers, or
Doc Falwells paint, or have them make a large investment in
materials, they already have around the home in other
forms.  Use the basics to start, and then work your way up
to the Caddilac methods (if you choose to).

Later,
Tom

Tom,

While I agree totally with your statement, why learn to drive on a model T Ford before driving the Cadillac? The Ford wasn't nearly as reliable as today's Cadillac and it took a lot longer to get there not to mention all the flat tires in route. Back then if you drove 500 miles w/o a flat you had a good trip. That is what is at stake here, reliability and the number of successful "takes." A new grafter learning by using old and not as reliable methods may get discouraged due to flat tires and all the tedious work and we could still lose him.

One more thing, the very best way to learn grafting is by watching an experienced grafter. Many organizations teach grafting such as the Chicago chapter of NAFEX, Michigan, Nebraska, Missouri, Ohio, Southern Ontario, Indiana Nut Growers and more. Get in touch with one of the many organizations that teach grafting and attend their demonstration meeting. Most are free and a single meeting is worth many hours of trying to learn from a book or a e/m net such as this. The Indiana Nut Growers grafting meeting will be May 23 at Indianapolis. The scion swap meeting is March 28, again at Indianapolis.

Use the kitchen knives, throw away the wax, plastic strips and get Parafilm.

Jerry

PS. Hint for the first time Parafilm users. Store it in the frig. It will last for years that way and a 250 ft. rolI will supply the average grafter many years. Yes, I know, wax doesn't need be stored in the frig!