nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Using basics to start.

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Using basics to start.
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:44:40 +0000

Lisa, best of luck, and do try practicing on willow sticks or some such to get your technique working easy. Grafting is way too much fun.
Much better than a razor blade would be a 'utility knife' they are quite common in hardware stores, and have an inexpensive, very sharp, replaceable blade.
It is not an ideal blade for whip and tongue, as it has short bevels on both sides, but sure better than a flexible razor.
One time Bob Purvis had me grind up a bunch of utility blades into 'single bevel' style for a grafting class
he was teaching, seemed like an economical alternative.
I don't have many orcharding catalogs. Folks, what is a price on a decent economical grafting knife these days anyway, I would think there are quite affordable ones somewhere..........Del

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3