nafex - [NAFEX] Parafilm on bark graft.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Parafilm on bark graft.
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:00:23 EST

Yes, here I am once again.

This picture is of a dual bud graft on persimmon. The material surrounding the two scions is the Parafilm.  After wrapping it becomes one solid plastic covering. Typically a few weeks after successful taking I pierce the film to let air in, but don't remove the film. It keeps the ends of the scions covered. In two years it should be completely healed over.

The yellow tape is vinyl electrical tape. This maintains the pressure on the cambium layers. Always wrap in the same direction as the bark overlap. Note I wrote on the tape that is a graft of Claypool's I-124. Sharpie pens work wonderful for this and will last about a year. All of the adventitious shoots as seen below the tape should be broken off. I typically leave the vinyl tape on until the following spring, helps hold the graft on in case of high winds. My success rate on this method, V graft and splice grafting approaches 90% in most years. Then often the failure is due to small or poor scion wood.

I love Parafilm, don't own stock in the company nor am I employed by them.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] Parafilm on bark graft., Jwlehman, 03/17/2004