nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: Grafting wax is old technology.

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: Three Hills Farm <organic@threehillsfarm.com>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: Grafting wax is old technology.
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:06:02 -0600

At 11:32 PM 3/16/2004 -0500, John wrote:
I went surfing a week ago for some grafting tape and ended up buying both a pound of grafting wax and a dozen rolls of Parafilm.

I've got a question for the list though.  Will the Parafilm stay secure to the graft if a knot is tied in it at the end, or will I need to secure the Parafilm with a rubber budding band?  I only bought the bar of wax with the intention of dipping the exposed ends of the scions.

How should Parafilm ideally be used?  And if I need to subsequently wrap or dip the graft with something in addition to the Parafilm, why bother with it at all?
John,
If you're using Parafilm, there's no need, whatsoever, for wax.  It's a thermoplasticized wax product that stretches and adheres to itself - no tying required.  I wouldn't count on Parafilm alone providing sufficient pressure to hold grafts together - I'd still use a grafting/budding rubber, but then I'll wrap the entire graft union and scion with Parafilm.  Bud push right out through it.

Lucky