nafex - RE: [NAFEX] wax, an outdated product?

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] wax, an outdated product?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 06:54:23 -0800

Grafting rubber covered by parafilm… I like that technique the best also.  I graft 1/4” – 1/2" scions onto dwarfing rootstock.  This year I switched from whip-and-tongue to a cleft graft.  My grafting seemed to go more smoothly this year and I think they look better.  In a couple of months I’ll know if more of them “take” … that’s the important thing.  I also parafilm-wrapped the whole branch from the graft to the tip of the scion.  Keeping the scionwood from drying out is critical for success of the graft.  It seems like good insurance to wrap the whole thing, and is recommended by an expert grafter I learned some things from this past weekend, Leonard Jessen.

-Mark Lee, Seattle