nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Grafting wax is old technology.

  • From: "Three Hills Farm" <organic@threehillsfarm.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Grafting wax is old technology.
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:32:38 -0500

Ginda:

I went surfing a week ago for some grafting tape and ended up buying both a pound of grafting wax and a dozen rolls of Parafilm.  I used a fabric-based grafting tape last year that had way too much adhesive on it and was a nuisance to cut with a razor blade 6 weeks later.  Reading this thread on grafting wax has made me wonder if wax is the route to go either, but I'm going to give it a shot.  If you're looking for a good source online for grafting wax or Parafilm, I found both products at a very competive price and had them on my doorstep 2 days after ordering them.  I got them from Orchard Valley Supply.  You'll find the grafting wax here:

        http://www.orchardvalleysupply.com/shopping/ListItem.asp?ItemID=186

And the Parafilm here:

        http://www.orchardvalleysupply.com/shopping/ListItem.asp?ItemID=185

I've got a question for the list though.  Will the Parafilm stay secure to the graft if a knot is tied in it at the end, or will I need to secure the Parafilm with a rubber budding band?  I only bought the bar of wax with the intention of dipping the exposed ends of the scions.

How should Parafilm ideally be used?  And if I need to subsequently wrap or dip the graft with something in addition to the Parafilm, why bother with it at all?

John

* * * * *

John A Gasbarre
Three Hills Farm