nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Outdated product?

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Outdated product?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:11:03 -0500

Hi,

Never doubt that I value your opinion very highly, but I
must say this...

Technology changes all the time, but the basic principles
remain the same. Much like my 1985 pickup getting me from
point A to point B reliably, it is not the latest
technology, but is just as effective as a 2004 pickup.

Many people choose old techmology for many reasons, for some
it is tradition, some nostalgia, finding materials readily
at hand, others are driven by economics. There are a myriad
of reasons why people would choose older technology.

The basic principles of grafting are to get good cambium
contact, hold the rootstock and scion firmly together, seal
moisture into the scion, when the graft is healed remove any
bindings. Adhere to these basic principles and you will
have success.

For the person new to grafting understand this perfectly;
you can have success grafting with items you will find in
your kitchen junk drawer, just adhere to the basic
principles of grafting. Down the road you may want to
purchase the latest and greatest, but you can have great
success with a lot less.

I would never want to loose a single first time grafter
because they could not find parafilm, grafting rubbers, or
Doc Falwells paint, or have them make a large investment in
materials, they already have around the home in other
forms. Use the basics to start, and then work your way up
to the Caddilac methods (if you choose to).

Later,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio