nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Pistachio Huller

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Pistachio Huller
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:57:24 +0000

When I lived out in Chico, Cailf., nut country, I recall hearing of one processor used forced air to blow nuts against a concrete wall, I wonder if a simple small centrifical air blower would work for a home operation.
Another crazy idea...... I knew there an old farmer (born in 1896) who had made his own puffed wheat using a steel cylander, compressed air, and a quick release lid. The puffed wheat blew into gunny sack. Might just work for nuts with a sealed shell, and no impact damage.
Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

I expect to hear dead silence but I have to ask. A backyard grower in New Mexico, tired of paying big bucks to have the pistachios from his four trees hulled at a commercial processor, asked us in CRFG where he could find a potato peeler or anything else that would work to remove recalcitrant hulls from the nuts. I assume he means one of those commercial potato peelers, which would probably run into major money as well. Does anyone have a suggestion for something that would work?

Bill Grimes
wagrimes@sonic.net