nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Pistachio Huller

  • From: "Teghtmeyer, Suzanne R" <srt175f@smsu.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Pistachio Huller
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:15:42 -0600

Bill, I found this description of a dehuller in one of my books.

-Suzi

Woodruff, Jasper Guy. Tree Nuts: Production, Processing, Products. Vol. 2. Westport, CT: AVI Publishing Co., 1967. 277-279.

Dehulling Pistachio Nuts”

Abrasive peeling machines were found suitable for dehulling pistachio nuts both in the fresh state immediately after harvest, or after drying in the hull. These machines consist of an upright cylinder coated on the inside surface with an abrasive; the bottom of the cylinder is a rapidly rotating disc, also coated with an abrasive. The material to be peeled is thrown by centrifugal force of the rotating disc against the abrasive wall surface, while a stream of water introduced on top of the cylinder through a perforating ring, soaks the material and flushes the disintegrating hulls, etc. to a catch basket. The product recovered form the abrasive treatment and subsequent separation and drying needed no additional labor for cleaning and sorting.

These are continuous peelers available equipped with pairs of carborundum coated rolls. These machines may hold some promise when larger capacities make continuous machines desirable; their suitability for dehulling pistachio nuts has not been established, however.

Freshly harvested pistachio nuts are freed from their hulls in 1.5 minutes, and complete dehulling of those which adhere more tightly to the shells require about six minutes. The nuts are not damaged by the abrasive treatment, but polishing and cleaning action take place so that the shells become attractively light in color, as compared to those dehulled by any other method.

<end>